Thursday, February 5, 2009

Momma's Movie Reviews - Taken (2008)

I saw two movies today - Taken and Last Chance Harvey. Thank goodness for long nap times and husbands who are gracious enough to give momma some ME time.

I wasn't too keen on seeing Taken (was hoping to see The Reader) but it fell at just the right time. I figured Liam Neeson isn't half bad to stare at plus his accent = lovely. Maggie Grace from LOST starred as his daughter and honestly she annoys me. She's a fine actress but maybe I just have some issues with her from LOST. lol

So to sum up the movie - Neeson plays the father, Bryan Mills, who is estranged from his wife and daughter. He's trying to make up for lost time by getting to know his daughter in her last year home before she heads to college. Darling daughter, Kim wants to go to Paris, France with a friend and against his better judgment, dad lets her go. But not before giving her a rundown of all his instructions. See, he's a bit paranoid because he is in the business of protecting people so he knows what can go wrong. And turns out daddy was right. As soon as they get off the plane they make friends with a cute, little French boy (aka pervert) - smart girls - who later breaks into their apartment and kidnaps them. We later learn they've been snatched up by some evil guys who are into sex trafficking dumb, young girls who talk to strangers in forgeign lands and don't listen to their fathers.

Long story short, this leads dad on a quest to find his daughter at all costs. I wish I had brought a ticker with me to keep count of just how many people Liam Neeson's character killed or injured because I'm pretty sure it was up in the 400 range. lol He's a very well trained man who is fortunate to meet a lot of bad guys with really bad aim... classic bad guy downfall. (Note to villians in training - TAKE A SHOOTING CLASS!) The movie was fast paced, action packed and I don't recall a boring moment.

Anyway, it was a very entertaining movie - even if it was a bit predictable and out there at times. I enjoyed it! I give it 4 out of 5 pieces of popcorn. :p

(I'll report on Last Chance Harvey later!)

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the reviews. I'll head for the DVD shop right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love finding great movie reviews and yours is no exception. Thank you! Plus your "rating system" makes me laugh.

    What's not to love about Liam, Friday night, and a trip to the video store? I'll definitely be following up on this recommendation.

    -Francesca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! :) I report on the important stuff... was the leading man hot or not? lol!

    Oh and just to clarify - both of these movies are still in theaters in the US so you won't find them in the video stores just yet! Should be soon tho!

    ReplyDelete